Rapid and accurate identification and antimicrobial susceptibility testing of bacterial pathogens is of key importance for guidance of antimicrobial choice and best management of bacterial diseases at the patient and herd level. We pursue the objective of improving diagnosis of bacterial infections in both production and companion animals using a comprehensive approach ranging from optimization of diagnostic and antimicrobial susceptibility testing methods and procedures [1-3] to development of new Point-of-Care tests  and clinical breakpoints . This is the current project in this area:
Optimizing antimicrobial susceptibility testing and treatment of mink – a PK/PD approach
Objective: to produce pharmacokinetic (PK) data for antimicrobials used in mink production, and to use these data in mathematical modelling to create (i) specific dosage regimens targeting the most common mink pathogens, and (ii) clinical breakpoints for antimicrobial susceptibility testing of mink pathogens.
- Toutain PL, Bousquet-Mélou A, Damborg P, Ferran AA, Mevius D, Pelligand L, Veldman KT, Lees P. 2017. En Route towards European Clinical Breakpoints for Veterinary Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing: A Position Paper Explaining the VetCAST Front Microbiol 8:2344.
- Guardabassi L, Hedberg S, Jessen LR, Damborg P. 2015. Optimization and evaluation of Flexicult® Vet for detection, identification and antimicrobial susceptibility testing of bacterial uropathogens in small animal veterinary practice. Acta Vet Scand 57:72.
- Larsen RF, Boysen L, Jessen LR, Guardabassi L, Damborg P. 2018. Diversity of Staphylococcus pseudintermedius in carriage sites and skin lesions of dogs with superficial bacterial folliculitis: potential implications for diagnostic testing and therapy. Vet Dermatol. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sørensen TM, Jensen AB, Damborg P, Bjørnvad CR, Guardabassi L, Jessen LR. 2016. Evaluation of different sampling methods and criteria for diagnosing canine urinary tract infection by quantitative bacterial culture. Vet J 216:168-73.
- Sørensen TM, Bjørnvad CR, Cordoba G, Damborg P, Guardabassi L, Siersma V, Bjerrum L, Jessen LR. 2018. Effects of Diagnostic Work-Up on Medical Decision-Making for Canine Urinary Tract Infection: An Observational Study in Danish Small Animal Practices. J Vet Intern Med 32:743-751.
- Maaland MG, Papich MG, Turnidge J, Guardabassi L. 2013. Pharmacodynamics of doxycycline and tetracycline against Staphylococcus pseudintermedius: proposal of canine-specific breakpoints for doxycycline. J Clinical Microbiol 51:3547-54.