One Health Antimicrobial Resistance (OHAR)
One Health Antimicrobial Resistance (OHAR)
The OHAR group conducts research on discovery and development of solutions for improving diagnosis and antimicrobial therapy of bacterial infections in veterinary medicine using a One Health approach based on the recognition that the . The group has two strategic focus areas:
- to improve animal health and herd management by optimizing use, performance and impact of diagnostic tests, methods and procedures (see research projects on diagnostics here)
- to minimize selection of antimicrobial resistance by optimizing use, choice, dosage and duration of antimicrobial therapy as well as by developing alternatives to antimicrobials (see research and projects on therapy here)
The OHAR group coordinates a EU Innovation Action on alternatives to veterinary Antimicrobials (AVANT, 2020-2025), the COST Action European Network for Optimization of Veterinary Antimicrobial Treatment (ENOVAT, 2019-2023), and a JPIAMR project on farm interventions to control antimicrobial resistance (FARM-CARE, 2022-2025). It also participates in a Marie Curie Initial Training Network on antimicrobial drug target discovery (INNOTARGETS, 2021-2025), and a JPIAMR network to assess the global burden of AMR using a One Health approach (GAP-ON€-2, 2021-2022).
In the recent past, we established the University of Copenhagen Research Centre for Control of Antibiotic Resistance (UC-Care, 2012-2016) and coordinated or participated in numerous EU projects such as PILGRIM (2009-2011), EvoTAR (2011-2015), CALLISTO (2012-2015)n and TRAIN-ASAP (2012-2016), GAP-ONE (2019-2020 and CARTNET (2018-2022).
We are responsible for one of the largest diagnostic laboratories that offers microbiology services to companion animal clinics in Denmark (SUND VET DIAGNOSTIK) and are actively involved in several international veterinary committees.
The group leader, Prof. Luca Guardabassi, participates in various international committees including the JPIAMR Scientific Advisory Board, the ESCMID Study Group for Veterinary Microbiology (ESGVM), the WSAVA Therapeutic Guidelines Group, and the ISCAID Antimicrobial Guidelines Working Group.
The deputy leader, Associate Prof. Peter Damborg, is the chair of the European Veterinary Subcommittee on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing (VetCAST), and also participates in the ESGVM.
Luca and Peter are de-facto diplomates of the European College of Veterinary Microbiology, and our laboratory is an approved as Training Centre of this college.
- Toutain PL, Bousquet-Mélou A, Damborg P, Ferran AA, Mevius D, Pelligand L, Veldman KT, Lees P. 2017. En Route towards European Clinical Breakpoints for Veterinary Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing: A Position Paper Explaining the VetCAST Approach. Front Microbiol 8:2344.
- Guardabassi L, Hedberg S, Jessen LR, Damborg P. 2015. Optimization and evaluation of Flexicult® Vet for detection, identification and antimicrobial susceptibility testing of bacterial uropathogens in small animal veterinary practice. Acta Vet Scand 57:72.
- Larsen RF, Boysen L, Jessen LR, Guardabassi L, Damborg P. 2018. Diversity of Staphylococcus pseudintermedius in carriage sites and skin lesions of dogs with superficial bacterial folliculitis: potential implications for diagnostic testing and therapy. Vet Dermatol. [Epub ahead of print]
- Moberg FS, Langhorn R, Bertelsen PV, Pilegaard LM, Sørensen TM, Bjørnvad CR, Damborg P, Kieler IN, Jessen LR. 2019. Subclinical bacteriuria in a mixed population of 179 middle-aged and elderly cats: a prospective cross-sectional study. J Feline Med Surg Sep 20:1098612X19874141.
- Sørensen TM, Jensen AB, Damborg P, Bjørnvad CR, Guardabassi L, Jessen LR. 2016. Evaluation of different sampling methods and criteria for diagnosing canine urinary tract infection by quantitative bacterial culture. Vet J 216:168-73.
- Sørensen TM, Bjørnvad CR, Cordoba G, Damborg P, Guardabassi L, Siersma V, Bjerrum L, Jessen LR. 2018. Effects of Diagnostic Work-Up on Medical Decision-Making for Canine Urinary Tract Infection: An Observational Study in Danish Small Animal Practices. J Vet Intern Med 32:743-751.
- Maaland MG, Papich MG, Turnidge J, Guardabassi L. 2013. Pharmacodynamics of doxycycline and tetracycline against Staphylococcus pseudintermedius: proposal of canine-specific breakpoints for doxycycline. J Clin Microbiol 51:3547-54.
- Adler DMT, Damborg P, Verwilghen DR. 2017. The antimicrobial activity of bupivacaine, lidocaine and mepivacaine against equine pathogens: An investigation of 40 bacterial isolates. Vet J 223: 27-31.
- Baker KR, Jana B, Hansen AM, Nielsen HM, Franzyk H, Guardabassi L. 2019. Repurposing azithromycin and rifampicin against Gram-negative pathogens by combination with peptidomimetics. Front Cell Infect Microbiol 9.
- Baker KR, Jana B, Franzyk H, Guardabassi L. 2016. A high-throughput approach to identify compounds that impair envelope integrity in Escherichia coli. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 60:5995-6002.
- Brochmann RP, Helmfrid A, Jana B, Magnowska Z, Guardabassi L. 2016. Antimicrobial synergy between carprofen and doxycycline against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus pseudintermedius ST71. BMC Vet Res 12:126.
- Baker KR, Jana B, Hansen AM, Vissing KJ, Nielsen HM, Franzyk H, Guardabassi L. 2019. Repurposing azithromycin and rifampicin against Gram-negative pathogens by combination with peptide potentiators. Int J Antimicrob Agents [Epub ahead of print].
- Espinosa-Gongora C, Rem Jessen L, Nordang Kieler I, Damborg P, Reinhard Bjørnvad C, Dadi Gudeta D, Pires Dos Santos T, Sablier-Gallis F, Sayah-Jeanne S, Corbel T, Nevière A, Hugon P, Saint-Lu N, de Gunzburg J, Guardabassi L. 2020. Impact of oral amoxicillin and amoxicillin/clavulanic acid treatment on bacterial diversity and β-lactam resistance in the canine faecal microbiota. J Antimicrob Chemother 75:351-361.
- Greco I, Plahn Emborg A, Jana B, Molchanova N, Oddo A, Damborg P, Guardabassi L, Hansen PR. 2019. Characterization, mechanism of action and optimization of activity of a novel peptide-peptoid hybrid against bacterial pathogens involved in canine skin infections. Sci Rep 9: 3679.
- Magnowska Z, Jana B, Brochmann RP, Hesketh A, Lametsch R, De Gobba C, Guardabassi L. 2019. Carprofen-induced depletion of proton motive force reverses TetK-mediated doxycycline resistance in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus pseudintermedius. Sci Rep 9:17834.
- Sadaka C, Damborg P, Watts JL. 2018. High-Throughput Screen Identifying the Thiosemicarbazone NSC319726 Compound as a Potent Antimicrobial Lead Against Resistant Strains of Escherichia coli. Biomolecules 8:4.
- Schoster A, Guardabassi L, Staempfli HR, Abrahams M, Jalali M, Weese JS. 2016. The longitudinal effect of a multi-strain probiotic on the intestinal bacterial microbiota of neonatal foals. Equine Vet J 48:689-696.
- Wegener A, Damborg P, Guardabassi L, Moodley A, Mughini-Gras L, Duim B, Wagenaar JA, Broens EM. 2020. Specific staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec (SCCmec) types and clonal complexes are associated with low-level amoxicillin/clavulanic acid and cefalotin resistance in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus pseudintermedius. J Antimicrob Chemother [Epub ahead of print].
News from the group
Interview with Luca Guardabassi on his new role of vice chair of the JPIAMR Scientific Advisory Board2022.04.12
New project on surveillance of contagious equine metritis in horses2021.02.10
Interview with Rikke Heidemann Olsen2021.02.10
New project on development of antimicrobial compounds2021.02.10
Female Scientist of the Week
|Cohen, Lawrence||PhD Fellow||+4535322210|
|Damborg, Peter Panduro||Associate Professor||+4535332702|
|Espinosa Gongora, Carmen||External||+4535326275|
|Guardabassi, Luca||Professor with special responsibilities|
|Hanegård, Manja||Laboratory Technician||+4535336478|
|Olsen, Rikke Heidemann||Associate Professor||+4535336431|
|Subramani, Prabha||PhD Fellow|